Easy Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
A simple, budget and very tasty classic stand-by with the choice of either soya-based veggie mince OR whole lentils – and with everything available from a health food shop or supermarket!
(Vegan mince brands: Linda McCartney, Fry’s, Vivera, The Meat Free Farm, Naturli, Meat the Alternative, Ocado, Granose and lots of supermarket own-brands. Quorn mince is not yet vegan. There are also packet Bolognese mixes if you’re in a real hurry!)
Reduced sugar, diabetic friendly
Low fat, low sugar
* Nutritional information per serving.
- 400-500g/14-18 oz wholewheat spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ red pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 medium courgette, chopped in half lengthways then sliced
- 100g/4oz mushrooms, chopped
- 225g/8oz veggie mince OR 1 tin whole cooked lentils
- 400ml/14fl oz passata OR 2 tins chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 80ml/3fl oz vegan red wine (optional)… check out Barnivore for a full list
- 1-2 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tbsp vegan syrup (eg agave or maple) or 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 3 tsp stock powder (eg Marigold) or 2 veg stock cubes dissolved in a very small amount boiling water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional: for a richer, creamier sauce, add 1 tbsp tahini or almond or cashew butter
- Fry the onion in the oil until soft.
- Add the celery, red pepper (optional), courgette and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- If using the veggie mince option, add it now along with the tomato puree, red wine, passata, herbs, syrup and stock. Also, if using the nut or seed butter option, add now, stirring it around so it melts in. If using the lentils then add all of the ingredients mentioned (apart from the veggie mince) but leave the lentils until stage 6.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes over a low heat.
- If using the lentil option, add them now and let them cook in for a couple of minutes, stirring well.
- Serve on a bed of cooked spaghetti (allow 100g/3½ oz dry weight per person).
Optional serving suggestions: vegan Parmesan (eg Violife Prosociano, Angel Food, Follow Your Heart), chopped olives, fresh basil, fresh rocket, garlic bread, side salad.
Did you know that V30 is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.