Pasta with Aubergine & Artichokes
This quick and simple dish is real burst of Mediterranean loveliness. You can be prepping and cooking the vegetable component while the pasta is boiling.
The quantities can easily be halved or quartered – but it might make a nice ‘leftovers lunch’ for the following day. And feel free to add a bean salad on the side for an extra protein boost!
Gluten-free or Wheat-free?
Use GF or WF pasta
Replace nuts with sunflower seeds if you’re not seed allergic
- Replace oil with oil spray
- Use oil-free sundried tomatoes and artichokes
- Use nutritional yeast flakes instead of vegan cheese
Not too tricky
Reduced sugar, diabetic friendly
Low fat, low sugar
- 450g/1lb pasta, such as pappardelle, noodles or penne. Fresh pasta usually contains egg but most dried pasta is vegan – just read the packet
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large aubergines, diced quite small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced/crushed
- 2 cans artichoke hearts, drained & each cut into 2-4 pieces, according to size – not too small or they won’t keep their shape. The type in oil also work well – use two jars, but drain well and reduce the oil given in the recipe
- 15 sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped – if using the plain dried variety, soak them in hot water. If they come in oil, drain well and reduce the olive oil in the recipe
- 3 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp pine nuts or cashew pieces – or sunflower seeds
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- Vegan Parmesan-style cheese, grated eg Violife Prosiciano OR VBites Italian style OR a few tbsp nutritional yeast flakes AND/OR MozzaRisella
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt if required (remember capers and olives are quite salty)
- Bring large saucepan of water to boil for pasta.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, according to packet instructions and how soft you like pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan and add onion and aubergine.
- Cover and cook gently for 7-10 minutes or until aubergine tender.
- Add garlic and cook for further 1-2 minutes.
- Add artichokes and add to mixture, along with sun dried tomatoes and capers.
- Toast nuts or seeds over the heat in a dry saucepan and keep stirring so they turn golden but don’t burn.
- When pasta is ready, drain in colander then return to the hot empty pan.
- Add aubergine mixture and season with salt and lots of black pepper.
- Serve on warm plates and scatter with pine nuts and basil – and whichever vegan cheese option you’re using.
Did you know that V30 is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.