Spicy Sweet Potato Salad
This lovely salad doesn’t have to be overly spicy hot – see our suggestions below. The idea is to offset the flavour of the sweet potatoes with tangy, spicy flavours – including the lime! You could also add some black beans to boost nutrients (protein, calcium, iron) and make it more substantial.
Using a good vegetable peeler makes prepping veg SO much easier. We favour this type over the long variety – and they’re inexpensive to buy. You’ll find yourself whizzing your way through a pile of root veg in no time!
Not too tricky
Reduced sugar, diabetic friendly
Low fat, low sugar
United States and Canada
Sweet Potato Mix
- 225g/8oz sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm/½ inch cubes (see tip above about veg peelers!)
- 1 tbsp oil – rapeseed, olive or plain
In a small bowl mix:
- 1 tsp cumin + ¼ tsp cayenne/mild chilli + salt and black pepper to taste (replace the cayenne or chilli with paprika if you prefer – regular or smoked)
- 250g/9oz/1½ cups cooked sweetcorn (frozen, drained tinned or fresh)
- ½-1 tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 red, orange or yellow pepper, chopped quite fine
- 1 good handful of coriander or parsley. Chop it fine
- 2 tbsp olive or cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Zest and juice of ½ -1 lime, depending on taste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- A few pieces of jalapeno pepper from a jar chopped roughly OR ½ a large green chilli, seeds removed and chopped fine
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Line a baking tray with foil and place the sweet potatoes on it. Drizzle the oil and toss well to coat the potato cubes. Sprinkle the cumin, cayenne/chilli, salt and pepper mixture and toss to coat this also. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the salad mix. Steam or microwave the sweetcorn if necessary. Then, in a medium bowl, add the cooked sweetcorn, black beans, spring onions, peppers – and jalapenos/fresh chilli if using. Toss to combine. (Save the coriander/parsley until you’re ready to serve).
- Mix the dressing ingredients with a fork in a small bowl to combine.
- Mix the sweet potatoes into the bowl of salad, stir in the dressing and toss well. Fridge until ready to eat. Sprinkle the fresh herbs on at the very last minute and serve with an extra wedge of lime if you wish.
Did you know that V30 is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.