Toast with all the Good Stuff
This is such a simple recipe and perfect for when you’re short of time, want something healthy and would like to use everything up in the fridge… it’s one of our go-to healthy lunches. There are no rules and no limits… these are just suggestions so get creative 🙂
Low fat, low sugar
* Nutritional information per serving. * For a lower fat version, skip the avocado.
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread of your choice (use GF where necessary), toasted
- Layer of tahini or vegan cream cheese or vegan pate or hummus or guacamole
- 2 handfuls spinach
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp sauerkraut
- ½ fresh chilli, finely sliced (seeds removed, optional)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped (or use pre-chopped, frozen if short of time)
- Handful of sprouted grains (eg alfalfa)
- Handful of mixed seeds (eg pumpkin, sesame, sunflower)
- Sprinkle of paprika or chilli flakes
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Other options: cucumber, kimchi, vegan cheese, fried mushrooms, raddish, any salad ingredient, roasted veg, nuts, vegan mayo, marinated tofu (eg Cauldron or Taifun), mixed bean salad, chickpeas, olives, sweetcorn, fried kale, fresh herbs, rocket, watercress
- Heat a small amount of oil in a saucepan and then add the cherry tomatoes and spinach.
- Lightly fry and occasionally stir for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- In the meantime, slice all the veg and pop the bread in the toaster.
- Put a layer of your chosen spread onto the hot toast and then layer up with the other ingredients, including the cooked spinach and cherry tomatoes.
- Finish off with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Did you know that V30 is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.